Scale, Architecture and other questions

Install and configure FormaLMS and DoceboCE
womble73

Scale, Architecture and other questions

Post by womble73 »

Hi All,

Just started to have a dig around in formaLMS and I am interested in how well it scales and how I should size my virtual machines.

Is there any performance metrics?
Are there base system requirements? (I see application versions but not hardware figures)
If I needed to run multiple instances (of forma) is there an example NGINX file that is used or a recommended architecture of how to autoscale the service. Should I have replicated DBs setup as well?

In terms of testing:
Are there any load tests I can run to help spec my hardware.
Recommendations on performance tuning the DB
For data at rest on the disk should the files systems be replicated or a shared mount etc.

What are peoples real world experiences with how many active users per server and what are the basic specs of the hardware.

Thanks.
alfa24
Senior Boarder

Re: Scale, Architecture and other questions

Post by alfa24 »

Hi there,

interesting discussion.

In my experience with the native FormaLms project, there are many variables that could affect server requirements.

1) Entities count & complexity: with a great number of org chart nodes (let's say over 1000) with a not-so-complex depth (let's say about 4-5), many features involved user selector can be critically slown down. If you use additional custom fields, the number of your users can literally make your MySql crash regardless of CPU/RAM capabilities.

2) Concurrent actions: when many users are simultaneously working on the LMS, some issues can stress out your machine, such as the instant messaging feature (I experienced of CPU usage of 100% due to the technology used by this feature, as it send little http packages every second for each user connected); moreover, heavy Learning Objects embedding video/streaming contents can overload both your network and CPU.

As concerns multitenancy, Forma instances are standalone. This means you'll have to have one filesystem and one db for each instance. No clustering, no scalability, no resource-sharing is available as a service.
The solution is to be tested on the run, based on your needs: I have customers with many little instances. For those customers I often build 1 VM for each instance; other customers of mine use a single server solution. One example:

12 forma instances, 300.000 total users approx; 1000 courses running since 2017 (so we're talking of 7 years of fruition); we choose to go with a dedicated private virtual server with 16CPU, 64GB RAM, 1TB HDD.
Per supporto GRATUITO contattatemi in privato qui
drjurie@satdi.co.za

RE: Language Management Settings

Post by drjurie@satdi.co.za »

How to setup the functions to Edit the Language Settings?
max
FormaLms Guru
Version: forma.lms 2.4

Re: RE: Language Management Settings

Post by max »

drjurie@satdi.co.za wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:46 pm How to setup the functions to Edit the Language Settings?
Sorry, but this is totally off-topic.
Anyhow, I have already answered by email.
---------------------
Massimiliano Ferrari
Elearnit - Elearning e Knowledge Management
https://www.elearnit.net
https://www.linkedin.com/in/massimilianoferrari
m.ferrari[at]elearnit.net